Parish History - Move from White Marsh
   
 
 

White Marsh was a secluded spot, difficult to access in the early days, and inconveniently situated for both priest and people. When, the original town of Bowie began to grow in population in the 1890s, it became an important railroad station between Baltimore and Washington.It was at the junction of Pope's Creek Line to southern Maryland.  Ascension Church was erected near the train line in 1893 and was served from White Marsh. In November 1903, the Jesuits of White Marsh, with all their belongings, moved to a new residence near the Church of the Ascension, a distance of six miles.

The Jesuits continued to serve the congregation of their missions at Sacred Heart and Holy Family in Woodmore with Sunday Masses, religion classes, and social functions. White Marsh was the favored location to hold the picnics and dances.

 
16501 Annapolis Rd., Bowie Maryland 20715 | Office: 301-262-0704 | CCD Office: 301-262-1221 | Fax: 301-805-4686 | email: parishoffice@sacredheartbowie.org